Saturday, February 7, 2009

Spices used in Libyan cooking

As-Salaamu alaikum

I am posting this at the request of sister Oum Ismail. :)

'Baharaat' or 'hararaat'

The baharaat (also called Hararaat) used in my Libyan recipes is made from several different spices which have been ground and mixed together. The baharaat can be bought as whole spices to be ground up at home or ready ground.

The mixture can vary but most baharaat include Cinnamon, Cloves, Cardamon, Ginger, Nutmeg (optional) and Rosebuds.

There are a couple of ingredients that I do not know the name of and which I should investigate further inshaAllah. One is a brown root which I think may be called Zeodary and another ingredient which looks like a dry papery crumpled 'leaf' which is brown on one side and greyish on the other side. Having said that, it is not leaf-shaped unless you compare it to a minature crumpled lettuce leaf! ... are you now sorry you asked sis Oum Ismail? lol...

To be continued................

2 comments:

  1. Assalamou aleikoum wa rahmatoullah wa barakatou

    barakallahu feekee. I have always wondered about mixed spices, what makes them special and how to use them. And no, I am not sorry I asked **smiles**actually, I would like to know what you use it for . Even though I am not Lybian, I have some of it, and it reminds me of an Algerian spice which is called Ras el Hanout . Ras el Hanout has several compositions, I think. So, I shall wait for more....

    ReplyDelete
  2. As-salaamu alaikum

    Wa feekee tabaarakAllah.:)
    I have found out that the dry crumpled paper type spice is known locally as 'Shayba' - but I still know nothing about its benefits etc. so I am still investigating that. I think that what we use is the Libyan version of Ras Al hanout which i have read about in my old 'North African Cookery' book.
    I am thinking of getting some of these whole spices to get some pics perhaps - maybe someone can then identify them for me inshaAllah....

    ReplyDelete